Whiteout is one of the Challenges that was added to The Long Dark to create a twist on the Sandbox mode. In it, the player always starts in the Quonset Gas Station in Coastal Highway, and is tasked with stockpiling a large and varied list of supplies before a blizzard hits in thirty days.
This supplies must be dropped inside of the gas station, either simply on the floor, or placed within storage containers. Keeping items in inventory will not count towards the total. The game ends successfully once all supplies are obtained, and the fastest time is kept on the challenge screen.
The list of supplies includes:
- 15 days worth of Food
- A Hunting Rifle
- 10 Rifle Round
- A Hatchet
- 25L/6.6gal of Potable Water
- 50 Sticks
- 30 pieces of Reclaimed Wood
- 20 pieces of Hardwood or Softwood, like Cedar Firewood or Fir Firewood
- 25 pieces of tinder, like Birch bark or Tinder Plugs
- A Storm Lantern
- 4L/1.1gal of kerosene, either as Lantern Fuel or a Jerry Can
- Bullets loaded into the rifle will count towards the total of bullets.
- Fuel loaded in the Storm Lantern does not count towards the total of Kerosene.
- While the Quonset Gas Station is mostly stripped of resources, there is still Potable Water in the toilet, which may be used. There is also a single crate for getting some Reclaimed Wood.
- The days worth of food is based on calories, so a higher cooking skill will make food better, and Reishi Tea and Rose Hip Tea count towards the totals.
- The game ends immediately when all supplies are obtained, so perishable food like meat and fish do count towards the total, even if it would decay before the 30 days elapses.
- There are two new pages in the Almanac. The first is the checklist of items needed, and the second is a weather forecast page. It will warn the player during which days blizzards are expected, how likely they are to occur, and how powerful they will be.